Worried about the pig ear recall?
If you live in Oakland County, you may have very little reason to be.
The concern is that the pig ears may be tainted with Salmonella.
Luckily for Oakland County residents, there are no retailers of the product based in Oakland County, presuming that information on retailers listed on the company’s website is accurate.
Here’s a list of communities that have a Jones Natural Chews Co. retailer:
Allendale, Alma, Battle Creek, Benton Harbor, Coldwater, Escanaba, Gladwin, five retailers in Grand Rapids, Gwinn, Holland, Iron River, Ishpeming, Kalamazoo, Manistique, Marquette, Mason, Munsing, Newberry, Richmond, Walker and Wayland.
The Grand Rapids retailers include four Chow Hound Pet Supply stores and one Family Farm & Home.
As for the rest of the low-down on the recall, here’s what you need to know:
1) A total of 2,705 boxes of pig ears have been recalled because there is the potential of the treats being contaminated with Salmonella
2) The contaminated boxes were shipped to distributors and retailers between Sept. 15, 2010, and November 2, 2010
3) There is a risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products
4) Salmonella can make you and your dog sick. In humans, Salmonella can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever, and can sometimes result in more serious ailments. You should contact a doctor if you have these symptoms. For your dog, watch for lethargy, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever and vomiting, though symptoms can be as minimal as decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain.
5) States these pig ears were sold in include: Connecticut, Iowa, Illinois, Maryland, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Washington and Wisconsin.
6) No illnesses have yet been reported.
7) If you have any of these pig ears, contact the company at 1-877-481-2663 for a refund.
Last but not least, here’s all the specifics on UPCs and other information you need to determine if you have these pig ears at your house:
Jones Natural Chews Co Pig Ears 2pk bag with header card–item upc 741956001047 lot 2420
Jones Natural Chews Co Pig Ears bulk 100ct box-box upc 741956001139 lot 2490, 2560, 2630, 2700, 2840, 2910, 2980
Jones Natural Chews Co Pig Ears bulk 50 ct box-box upc 741956001504 lot 2490, 2840
Jones Natural Chews Co Pig Ears bulk 25ct box-box upc 741956001467 lot 2700
Jones Natural Chews Co Pig Ears 1pk shrinkwrapped-item upc 741956001146 lot 2700, 2840, 2420
Jones Natural Chews Co Pig Ears 10pk printed bag-item upc 741956001405 lot 2420, 2560, 2630, 2840
Blain’s Farm & Fleet Pig Ears 10 pieces bag-item upc 741956001405 lot 2560
Country Butcher Dog Chews Pig Ears 1pk shrinkwrapped-item upc 741956001511 lot 2630
Country Butcher Dog Chews Pig Ears 1pk shrinkwrapped-item upc 741956001146 lot 2420
Country Butcher Dog Chews Pig Ears 12pk bag-item upc 741956001245 lot 2910
Read the FDA press release
Jones Natural Chews Co Recalls Pig Ear Dog Chews Because of Possible Salmonella Health Risk
Not from Michigan but would like to know what communities in your state these products were sold in? Click here to see a listing of retailers by state on the Jones Natural Chews Co. website.